The Trades Assistant is responsible for assisting fitters, conducting repairs and maintenance of our Concrete, Quarry and Mobile crushing plants and for maintaining the workshop and associated equipment in a safe, clean and tidy condition.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist Maintenance Fitters in repairing plant and equipment;
- Works under the general direction of the Maintenance Manager;
- Ability to perform assigned tasks with minimal supervision;
- Ability to read and comprehend instructions, memos, general correspondence and apply the knowledge of a reasonable person to carry out instructions;
- Ability to present information verbally in one-on-one situation and small groups;
- Basic numeracy skills, having the ability to use these skills with weight, volume and distance measurements;
- Developing knowledge of workshop procedures;
- Developing knowledge of the use and maintenance of workshop equipment;
- Developing knowledge of the operation of a plant;
- General knowledge of Health & Safety; and
- Ability to work both autonomously and within a team.
The Ideal applicant would have some of the following attributes
- A good safety attitude
- Not be afraid to ask questions when in doubt
- Willingness to work
- Positive attitude
- Be drug & alcohol free
- Ability to use a computer
- Follow instructions & seek clarification when instructions are unclear
- Ability to work night shift
- The ability to think of alternatives
Qualifications and Experience
- High school certificate or equivalent education certificate; one to three months’ related experience and or training; or an equivalent combination of education and experience;
- Forklift certificate (desirable);
- Previous mechanical experience;
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude and the ability to learn and develop; and
- Hold a current class 1 driver’s licence
As well as a great career opportunity, we offer a competitive remuneration package including up to 4% matched Kiwisaver and fully subsidised health insurance.
Applicants will be required to undertake a pre-employment medical including drug and alcohol screening.