Stevenson has had a long standing history in the Auckland region. Three generations of the family have left their mark on Auckland in the process of transforming what began as a very modest family business into the large organisation it is today.
Our history began in 1912 with three pioneering Stevensons – father William, his sons William (later to become Sir William) and Jim, hungry for work and armed with their picks and shovels, a few wheelbarrows, and a Model-T Ford.
In 1917 son William registered the company W. Stevenson & Sons Ltd and since that time, Stevenson has been involved in roading and infrastructure projects and is a major player in the country’s construction industry. Sir William’s three sons, Bill, Jack and Ross all worked in the company managing various parts of the business.
We have strong roots in land-based businesses including mining and quarry management, agriculture and property. We are a well-respected provider of engineering and related services amongst these industries.
Over the years Stevenson has taken the opportunity to help the communities in which it operates. Through the W A Stevenson Charitable Trust set up by Sir William over 50 years ago, now known as the Stevenson Foundation, support has been provided to a number of major community charitable projects and causes.
Stevenson Foundation funds medical research through the Auckland University Medical School, is a key sponsor of The Auckland War Memorial Museum and provides grants to the Auckland Rescue Helicopter Trust amongst others. These are examples of some of the family’s philanthropic support for major organisations who educate, improve and enrich the lives of Aucklanders. Group operating companies also support their local communities through smaller educational and sporting sponsorship grants.
Stevenson remains family owned and the values that motivated the enterprising 17 year old William Alfred Stevenson over 100 years ago, still apply today – tenacity, dedication, determination, steadfast loyalty to employees and a strong desire to contribute to deserving causes in the community. Our values – do the right thing, successful together, positive approach and push the boundaries guide the way we do things – the Stevenson Way.
Now fully owned by Fulton Hogan, Stevenson’s four concrete plants supply high-quality ready-mix concrete throughout the Auckland region. Our plants use top quality aggregates, sourced from Stevenson’s quarry in Drury.
With half a century of experience, Fulton Hogan and our concrete divisions – Stahlton and Stevenson – offer top quality concrete options throughout the length of the country. Our recent acquisition of Stevenson Construction Materials has also allowed us to expand our offering in the Auckland region.